Monday, November 4, 2013

The Heart of the Home




As J. R. Miller put it, "home happiness depends on the wife.

Her spirit gives the home its atmosphere.

Her hands fashion its beauty.

Her heart makes its love."


As a wife and mother, the joy of my husband and children relies heavily on me. Their hearts are in my hands.

I find myself caught up in the picking-up, cleaning-up aspect of my "job" and, at times, think so is this really it? This is the beauty of motherhood ... a sparkling clean toilet and mopped floors?" 

It's hard sometimes to find fulfillment and joy in a long day of cleaning up messes and wiping sticky bottoms!

But as a mother, my "job" is far more intricate, far more precious, and far more beautiful than I could ever imagine.

As a mother, I have the privilege of comforting, loving and guiding my children through the up's and down's of life; helping and watching them learn and grow; leading them in their walk with the Lord...

As a mother, I have the beautiful role of making a house a sanctuary -- a safe-haven for the ones God has placed in my care.

This is no small task! But I'm claiming Phil. 3:14 and trust that God will give more patience when mine falls short, more strength when I feel I have none left to give, and more love than I feel my heart can hold.


No comments: